Inspiring and Empowering Positive People
Nov.9th 2007 - Nov.13th 2008 // one year on foot // 4646km through China // unlimited beard & hair growth // Homepage: http://www.thelongestway.com // Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CRehage // musical score by The Kingpins (http://www.myspace.com/theoneandonlykingpins) and Zhu Fengbo
- I never finished my original goal of walking to Germany. Instead, I walked for a year and roughly 4500km, passed the Gobi desert, and then decided to stop walking for now.
- All of the distance from Beijing to Ürümqi has been completed solely on foot, straight good old walking. There are instances where you can see me in the video sitting on a plane or riding a boat, but those are during breaks I had to take from walking, either to sort out bureaucracy issues or to take care of some personal things.
- I had been planning this trip for over a year before I even started, and getting as far as I got was an experience for which I am very grateful.
- Obtaining the necessary visa for a trip like this was not very easy, hence I had to go back to Beijing a few times to resolve some issues.
- The songs I used in the video are 1) Zhu Fengbo - "Olive Tree" and 2) The Kingpins - "L'aventurier" - visit the Kingpins website if you want to know more, they are very cool I think.
- This is not a strict "1 pic a day" video, because I wanted to make it a bit more alive by adding some additional movement. Sometimes during the film you would follow me turn around, or something would happen in the background. I tried to capture these moments to make the video more interesting.
- The core of this project is in fact my website "http://www.thelongestway.com" where I have posted my extensive travel diary, starting from day 1 (Nov 9th 2007) and describing every single day until the end one year later.
If you have any additional questions, please refer to:
and get the Google Earth file here (1KB):
Update - this weird beard video won at the following festivals:
2009 Boulder Adventure Film Festival
2010 Berlin Webcuts
2010 Banff Mountain Film Festival
2011 Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival
2011 5th International Mountain Film Festival Domžale
2011 Squamish Mountain Festival
2011 Mezinárodný Festival Horských Filmov, Poprad
2011 Vertical Film Festival, Moscow
#8 top viral video 2009 at Time.com